I can easily say that I have the most intense schedule of my student career; including multiple academic classes and 4 performing ensembles. The cool thing is that I know I can handle all of it; procrastination will be my worst enemy.
I got my haircut, which normally would not be very exciting. Although getting my haircut at Mayo's Barbershop was quite an experience. Imagine a worldly, 'seen-it-all', white-haired, senile, and careless hippie Hispanic man with a pair of sheers. Now you know Mayo.
Mayo's shop is a stand-alone 'hole in the wall' down the street from campus. The modest size (that of a walk-in closet) does not match the history embedded to this mystic barbershop.
This place is straight out of the 1940's; loopy color schemes, leather swivel chairs, and ancient radio and television sets. Even better, on the walls are pictures of Mayo with famous musicians of whom he has cut hair! (because of the vast music school and its proximity to Dallas, Denton can turn into a hub for professionals). Faces I noticed were those of The Eagles, Benny Goodman, and many other classical and jazz names. (according to legend The Eagles all attended UNT, starting the band while in school here, and later pulling the name from the schools mascot; the eagle). Mayo spent about 5 minutes cutting my hair, and 40 minutes talking to me about anything and everything of which he had an opinion. This included women, doctors, politics, health care, being young, being old, drugs..... basically rants backed up with really funny stories. According to Mayo, I carry the 2 unforgettable sins.... I am a musician and I am from California.
Visiting Mayo ended with an endearing display of trust. I walked in with only debit cards and a few bucks. After telling me that he only accepts cash, he welcomed me in anyways, assuming I would pay him back at a later time. The last thing he said before I left was, "If you do not pay me back, that is o.k. But my stories will have taught you nothing!"
Oh yeah, I went camping:
(click to enlarge)
shaner miss you
ReplyDeleteI LOVE IT!!!!
ReplyDelete